Saturday, January 19, 2013

Maturity

Maturity is an odd concept. Everyone seems to define it a bit differently. There are people that would say that I am incredibly immature, and there are people who would say I am one of the maturest people they know, but really, what is maturity?

Is it doing what you're 'supposed' to do? What society expects? Grow up, have a job, get married, have a house, etc. I don't think any one of these things or any combination of these things makes a person mature. I think that maturity is knowing how to handle yourself and knowing how to make decisions, even when none of your options are good. Maturity is choosing the option that is best for you and not necessarily the one that you want at the moment. By that definition, some people NEVER mature.

That's okay, though. Being immature doesn't mean that you can't make it through life. In fact, sometimes I wish I didn't have the knowledge of maturity as I do. I wouldn't be where I'm at right now if I didn't. Not that I'm not happy with where I'm at, I am, somewhat. I'm not unhappy, anyway. I think that it's a bit of a misconception that if you don't mature then you have failed at life, I don't think maturity really has anything to do with that. It really only has to do with your interactions with others and your reasons for making certain choices. Choices that are yours to make as you wish.

I think that maturity has come to be confused with responsibility. An easy thing to do, but they really aren't the same. Responsibility is doing what you think is the right thing to do, maturity is knowing which is which.

*~*Tabby Marie*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment