Sunday, January 27, 2013

Kids Shows

I am absolutely convinced that preschool kids shows are making our kids oblivious. How many times has Dora stood next to a giant red apple and asked 'Do you see the giant red apple?'. I've watched several children, and when asked to find something, even when it's right in front of them, they can't seem to manage it until it is blatantly pointed out to them, and even then they seem to have trouble sometimes.

On the subject of Dora, what is the deal with 'Swiper no swiping'? Because, you know, when someone is trying to mug you if you tell them no three times they'll stop. That is SO how life works. It's seriously one of the most perplexing things I have ever pondered. I mean, who even thought that up? They should be slapped.

Then you have shows like the Wonder Pets. Ling Ling speaks with a strong lisp and it's made out to be all cute. To me, it's saying that it's okay to speak improperly in order to be cute. I don't think so. I don't even approve of baby talk. Speak properly to children and they will in turn learn to speak properly. It's that simple.

In closing, pay attention to what your kids are being taught by the stuff that they watch. You may be surprised when you sit and think about it rationally instead of just assuming that since it's supposed to be educational it should be good.

*~*Tabby Marie*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment