Friday, January 18, 2013

Marriage

Marriage today is, in a word, ridiculous. It has been reduced to a government contract, and that is all it really is anymore. It's been made incredibly easy to get married. Some simple paperwork, prove your identity, go in front of an official and bang your done. You want get divorced? Good luck! It took me 3 days and around 60 dollars to get married. It took 14 months to get divorced, and I think the cost was a few hundred dollars that he paid, I didn't. 

Don't get me wrong here, I am all for committed, lasting relationships. Have the ceremony. Live together. have kids. I just don't see the point in actually getting legally married unless you need to get on your SO's insurance or something. Which is even sillier to me that you'd have to be married to do so. I think you should just have to qualify as a 'dependent' or have lived together for a certain amount of time or something. That would make way more sense. 

I think that when people get married, a lot of times they just quit trying in the relationship. It's much harder to leave a marriage if you are unhappy than it would be if you weren't married, even when the situation is exactly the same. You feel obligated because you made those arbitrary vows in front of some official. It really doesn't make sense. If the only reason you are staying with someone is because you happen to be married to them, you shouldn't be staying.

I think I'll stop here before I go too far into the negativity that I'm dealing with today.

*~*Tabby Marie*~*

No comments:

Post a Comment